Sunday, September 30, 2007

"Dwight"



Walking across the bridge from Gerald R. Ford Museum, I ran into Dwight. We made eye contact, and with a nod and hello, we started talking. Reluctant to let me photograph and interview him, he set politely said he had to be on his way to the food kitchen. I respected his wish, and of course was bummed out. After a few steps, he turned to me and said "well, you can interview me on the walk?".

As we walked around, I must have watched him ask between 10 and 15 people for a cigarette. I was disgusted to see how these people reacted...A few polite people said "no,sorry", while the majority acted like they couldn't hear him. One man, he asked at least 6 times, each time taking a few steps closer, because the man wouldn't even aknowledge him...Finally, the man turned to him, disgusted, and told him "no,back off!".

We spoke of how he's 67,lost his job, his wife, and his kids, and that life just hasn't been great to him.I asked what he does with his time now days, to which he replied...

"Get food at the kitchen, beg for cigarettes, look for a place to sleep...'Bout the only thing I can do..."

It really sickened me today to walk with him...To see what he see's, to see how people react to him asking for something, to see their faces of disgust. It's kind of the cruel reality of life, being spat in your face...

No comments: